Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Mark Billingham 2: Scaredy Cat

After reading two books in a row by British authors, some of the Queen's English seems to have made it's way into my head. "Boy, am I knackered," I thought to myself the other day after some strenuous exercise. What the hell got into me? The answer is Mark Billingham and his second novel, Scaredy Cat, which features Detective Inspector Tom Thorne. Thorne and his team investigate of series of murders that don't seem to be connected. But are they? Billingham's first book, Sleepyhead, shows how Thorne thinks outside the box when it comes to solving a mystery. He continues this in the second novel, as the childhood and hometown of a potential suspect comes into play, while the pressure mounts from the media and Thorne's superiors to close the case. I can't say that I go out of my way to read Billingham, but he's very good, very early and I look forward to his later work as he becomes more seasoned. (Mark Billingham books and reviews)

No comments: